Diarrhea is not a disease in itself, but rather due to another cause in the body that may be infection, medications or eating certain foods. Diarrhea is known to appear in a form of loose stools or more frequent passing of stools, often accompanied by abdominal cramping.
● Eat whole grains as a source of fiber that helps to stop diarrhea, as they are a source of complex carbohydrates that provide energy to the body. Barley and Oats are good sources of soluble fiber.
● Eat soft easy to digest vegetables, such as potatoes to make up lost potassium and cooked carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms.
● Fruits such as bananas and strawberries help reduce diarrhea and the potassium-rich bananas, the applesauce contains pectin, and these help to reduce the symptoms of diarrhea. Furthermore, the natural sugar from the apple juice helps to replenish lost energy during diarrhea.
● Eat low-fat meat such as chicken breast and turkey. Avoid high-fat meat, burgers and sausages.
● Reduce the intake of dairy products and choose low fat or skimmed milk, yogurt may help reduce diarrhea. Use soy milk or almond milk if you are allergic to milk.
● Take plenty of fluids to replace the lost fluids and prevent dehydration. Drink purified water, herbal teas with honey; avoid drinks containing caffeine and soda, and reduce the intake of fruit juices.
Herbal and Dietary Supplements:
● Fiber: such as flaxseed or Psyllium.
● Probiotics: Eat fermented foods regularly because they contain beneficial proteins that help digestion, such as yogurt, soy products, tofu, miso or goat cheese.
● Omega3: Make sure you take omega3 supplements like linseed oil because the essential fatty acids are important to protect the lining of the intestines.
● Herbal supplements: Peppermint, German Chamomile, Coriander and Ginger to calm abdominal cramps, colon nerve and abdominal pain. Fennel seeds help against digestion disorders; Thyme as an antimicrobial and bactericidal; Turmeric as anti-inflammatory; Anise has anti-bacterial properties.
● Honey products: Honey acts as a cleanser for the digestive system; Marjoram honey can help relieve indigestion, bloating and cramps.
The instructions and recommendations mentioned in this diet are general guidelines and do not take into account differences between individuals. Any health condition should be treated by a specialist and we advise you to consult your doctor before taking any product that may affect your health.